BBS Beleuchtungstechnik Bühnentechnik Schenk GmbH stands for professional lighting, stage and video technology as well as proprietary LED technology. Their customers include Deutsche Oper Berlin and the Bayreuther Festspiele. Here, we talk with Christopher Schenk.
1. Your father Ricard Schenk founded the family business, and you now have many prestigious customers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg. What is the secret of your success?
Highly-qualified advice and service are the be all and end all of the business. It’s never an option to say we’ll do it tomorrow, the visitors are coming today whether we like it or not.
2. It must be the case that theatres and opera houses pose different challenges than lighting installations in exhibition centres. What sort of problems might you be faced with?
There’s no one answer to this question. One example: For a trade fair, you usually factor in more time than for a theatre production where the artists give free rein to spontaneous inspiration, which means we have to find solutions within the shortest timeframe possible.
3. Your own-brand LED products are very popular with your customers. Which one is the customer favourite at the moment, and why?
That would have to be the ColorNova. I think it’s fair to say it’s very difficult or even impossible to find an equivalent anywhere else. The performance as well as the colour spectrum from the eight different coloured LEDs are the ‘killer app’.
4. Being a family business, at some point you have to consider the transfer of leadership to the next generation. What are you targets and ideas for the future as a business?
We press on the way we have already taken, developing new and better LED lights for the stage, industry and for architecture.
5. To finish up, let’s take a quick glimpse at Prolight + Sound 2016: What do you intend to put on show there?
To mark the 25th anniversary of our company, we are going to show the full spectrum at PLS. That includes the latest LED technology for the stage, for industry and for architecture, and the latest Artrolux products, and for the studio we are going to be showing off a selection from our new partners Mela Industrieprodukte as well as the very latest theatre products.
Source: BBS Beleuchtungstechnik Bühnentechnik Schenk GmbH